Do you have your costume ready? Halloween is less than two weeks away! You might have tricks and treats on your mind, but don’t throw nutrition out the window. Take a minute now to plan some healthy halloween ideas. Planning ahead will help keep you on track once the big day comes. Here are some of my favorite tips for a healthy halloween:
- Have a nutritious meal before you go. Whether you are trick or treating with the kids or partying with the adults, filling up on healthy food before you go will help keep the treat consumption under control. Enjoy a treat or two, but don’t rely on them to fill you up.
- Instead of driving around as you do your trick or treating, walk your route. Physical activity is a great way to burn calories while you are gathering treats.
- If you are hosting a party, serve healthy snacks. Dress them up in a Halloween theme to keep with the festivities. Check my Pinterest board for some great ideas.
- Empty calories can easily add up when we don’t pay mind to what we are drinking. Your best bet is to stick with water. Your body will stay hydrated and you will save yourself from calorie overload.
- The day after Halloween you may find yourself swimming in candy. Save a few of your favorite treats and put the rest away. Out of sight, out of mind is a good tactic to keep your treat consumption at a minimum.
- Teach kids about MyPlate and some nutrition basics. If they understand why you are limiting their candy intake, they may be less upset when you say no. Fueling them with knowledge helps empower them to make their own healthy choices.
- Never say never. Telling yourself no over and over again makes it hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. You can eat a treat and still be healthy, so allow yourself a treat every now and again. It’s all about balance.
To help you prepare for a healthy halloween, here’s a great snack idea. It is enough to satisfy a sweet tooth without being void of nutrition.
Certified Nutrition Education Assistant